- Evangelism is Expected
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age. (Matthew 28:19-20)
- He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. (Mark 16:15)
- And repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem (Luke 24:47)
- Again Jesus said, Peace be with you! As the father has sent me, I am sending you. (John 20:21)
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
- Evangelism is Empowered
- Overcoming fear of failure.
- And he told them many things in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away. Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears, let him hear.” (Matthew 13:3-9)
- Evangelism is a discipline
- What changes Thursday?
- Since evangelism is expected, will you obey the Lord and witness?
- Since evangelism is empowered, will you believe God can use your words in the salvation of others?
- Since evangelism is a discipline, will you plan for it?
About 3-1-5-1 Challenge
How will you lead your groups to reach out to new people? How will you encourage them to invite them to class and class activities? How will you enroll new people? How will you prepare group members to share Jesus with lost friends? Consider participating in the 3151 Challenge this fall!
What is the 3151 Challenge? It is an evangelism campaign done through the Sunday School or small group ministry. During the campaign, every group member is encouraged to take the 3151 Challenge:
3 – Pray for three lost friends daily
1 – Learn One Spiritual Conversation
5 – Invite five people to attend their group
1 – Share the Gospel at least one time
The 3151 Challenge begins with Soulwinning Commitment Day on the first Sunday of October. On this day, the pastor asks church members to accept the challenge.
A Connection Card can make inviting friends simple.
A 3151 Challenge Tract is provided to assist group members, with helpful suggestions such as: 7 ways to pray for a lost friend; a brief Gospel presentation; and six things that happen in the life of someone when they are invited to a biblical group.
A 3151 Pastor’s Guide is available with many helpful suggestions. Also, a Group Leader’s Guide is also available for teachers and small group leaders.
Another helpful opportunity which will support the 3151 Challenge is that LifeWay’s Bible Studies for Life curriculum will offer a fall quarter study Unit entitled, Unvarnished Truth: Life’s Greatest Story. This will be six weeks of lessons focused on helping class members understand and be able to share about salvation. Churches who use LifeWay curriculum other than Bible Studies for Life may contact the MS Bapt Convention for a solution.
What might happen in a church with 100 people who accept the challenge? That could mean (1) prayer for 300 lost friends daily, (2) 100 people learn a Gospel presentation, (3) 500 people are invited to a group, and (4) 100 people share the Gospel at least once. Wow! Imagine if 1000 Mississippi churches had 100 persons each accept the challenge?
300,000 lost friends prayed for daily
100,000 people learn a Gospel presentation
500,000 people invited to a group
100,000 time the Gospel would be shared.